Thursday, February 24, 2011

Barcelona and life...

I am soooooo bad about updating this. It has been two weeks since Barcelona and I still have not written about it and I am about to leave for Budepest today! In my defense we did have miderns and a little mishap this week with my friend falling and fracturing his jaw.
Barcelona was absolutely amazing though. If I was able to choose another place to study abroad I would want it to be there. When we first arrived we checked into our hostel which Tom, my friend from home, suggested becuase he studied abroad in Spain. We were advised to speak to Israel if we needed anything. Luckily he was the one to check us in and as a result told us everywhere to go in the city, how to get there and during our entire trip got us into clubs and amazing resturant. The highlight of our trip was going to his favorite tapas bar and ordering a bunch of tapas appitizers to share and drinks. We tried some wierd fish almost like squid that I cant remember the name of, veal, these famous spanish potatoes, spanish omlets, warm goat cheeze, and so many other things. It was great to get a taste of authentic Spain food right when we arrived.
My favorite part would have to be the HUGE fruit market off of the famous Las Ramblas street. I got huge bowls of fruit for 2 euro and half pinables cut up for 1. It was a fruit lover heaven. Las Ramblas street itself was great for tourist watching and the endless street performors that line the street are fun to watch and laugh at. Twice we walked all the way down to the beach where we sat for hours, soaked in the sun, drank beers on the beach and just watched the sailboats on the calm ocean...it was the life. We also saw alot of Gaudi buildings, the famous church (which is suppossed to be the biggest , most significant architectual completion in our lifetime), and also when to Gaudi park. Because of the nice weather we just wandered and saw so many cool things. The park was especially fun because you could hike to the top and see the entire city.
Of course we had to go experience the well known Spain nightlife as well. Yet Spain going out there does not mean late at night but actually early morning. The last night we were there we met up with the entire group of Gonzaga people on the trip and went to a world known club called Razzamataz which has 5 rooms with balconies and pathways on top of the buildings that are outside to get from one huge themed dance room to the other. It was insane. We didnt even leave from our meeting place with a hostel until 1:45 and then left the club at 5:45 only to have to check out of the hostel at 10 am and catch a plane. I have to admit it was worth it for the experience of seeing such an amazing club. I dont think I could live in Barcelona and survive their night life.
This week was midterms which was alot of cramming. I had 3 in one day and then one yesterday, which happened to be the day we found out about my friend Bert so I was a little distracted for the test. I hope I did ok at least. I did go see Bert at the hospital with some friends he was in good spirits and will have surgery on friday and his mom arrives today. They will put a metal plate in his chin and then they believe he will be able to stay in Florence which is the best news. We will see though just keep him in your prayers.
 I leave for Budapest in 3 hours though. I have no idea what to expect. I guess it is cheap and known for its baths so I have brought a swimsuit. Also I know we have an authentic dinner planned on a boat. I will try to update more often to let you know how it is! I miss everyone alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment