Sunday, February 6, 2011

RIOTS!!!!!!

Yesterday was the beginning of the chocolate festival in Florence so of course it was my priority to attend. We got delicious chocolate covered fruit skewers, and some people got the hot chocolate which here is basically liquified melted pure chocolate that you can add flavor, whipped cream and shavings to and it is so rich you cant even finish half. The chocolate was endless so many hinds and lots of fun shapes and combinations and the best part FREE samples. We even tried a rum truffle that was so stong I think if you had a whole one you would be tipsey.

Then I came home to do some hw. Yet I was distracted of course by skyping my parents. Then in the midst of this I heard a rucous outside my window. Looking outside I see a mob of protestors with helmets and bandanas blocking their faces and a police baracade at the other side of the street, with full gear and shields....right on out street!!!!! In front of my window (we are on the 3rd floor so great view). We ran to the front of our pensione to try and ask what was going on in our limited Italian and all we figured out was COMMUNISTS!!! As we were watching we heard multiple huge bands with bright flashes and then a smoke bomb was released filling the air with orange smoke and making the pensione all hazzy and smell like fireworks. Then the "movement" began to advance on the police and thats when we were like "oh ;#^%". Thank goodness no actual big riot broke out becuase after some intense chanting and negotiations they began to move down the other street. Basically it was like nothing I have ever expeienced. In the pensione we were running back and forth, screaming, taking pictures and videos...we are such tourists but I have to show everyone!!!!!!!!! Well that was my exciting story for the day just thought I would share that I am safe. My poor parents got hung up on skype to me saying "There is a riot outside my window with a police baracade ill call you back. what the hell is going on!!!!""" sorry mom and dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment